Sunday, November 17, 2013

Until the Ink Runs Out (2000)



My first of many early 00s metalcore appreciation posts. This record made my jaw drop. I'd heard some other OC bands from the late 90s right when I got into hardcore around 99/2000 and I was hooked on all of it. Partially, because of how easily of a transitioning period, being 100% into metal, then Misfits/Danzig/Samhain/Michale Graves and then the entire OC metalcore craze. Eighteen Visions blew me away. I got this record and the compilation of all their 7" and eps (The Best Of) at the same time, from a distro table at a bar/venue in Fort Lauderdale, along with a ton of other great CDs. 




One part death metal, one part spastic Botchy sounding riffs, one part rock n' roll, all dark and mysterious. This was when the band was still balls-to-the-wall heavy, they still utilized Brandan Schiepatti as a guitar player alongside one of my favorite riff-lords, Keith Barney, James Hart's voice was still ferocious and gutteral, the lyrics were dark, satirical and nihilistic, it was perfect. I was lucky enough to catch them on support still, for this record, in 2002, when they still had this lineup as well. Music like this flat out does not exist anymore.






No comments:

Post a Comment