Monday, March 10, 2014

Vermis (2013)



So...here's another one. Another band that sounds like a Armageddon, but, centralized and controlled. Like a pile of anvils falling off Mount Fuji onto a giant sack of kittens. Ulcerate is a new band to me. When I say that, I mean that I know they've been around for over a decade, but, this is the first thing I've heard from them and I am an idiot for not hearing them sooner.

 

Their sound is very refreshing. What I enjoy the most about this band is that it sounds like, to me, they take a great deal of influence from two things: the sludgier, slower, down-tuned Morbid Angel songs (God of Emptiness, Where the Slime Live, etc), and I could hear a decent amount of influence from veteran doomy-death metal band, Demelich. Not only this, but, Ulcerate's riffage is very erratic and unconventional. Lots of random time signatures, jazzy interludes and downright randomness, without ever losing the blackest-of-midnight undertone throughout the entire record. This is an undeniably heavy, genre-bending, mind-fuck of a release.

No comments:

Post a Comment