Monday, October 21, 2013

October Rust (1996)




That Misfits post really put me in the mood for some more Halloween jams, so I think I'm gonna ride that Transylvanian train for a little longer.

Type O Negative is the ultimate Gothic Doom band as far as I'm concerned (sorry My Dying Bride, I'll get to you later) and this is unquestionably one of their finer releases.

Sonically, this is a very atmospheric record. The heavily distorted down-tuned guitars and the trademark bass lines from their previous albums are still present; but what really gives it its chilling, spooky vibes are the keyboards. Josh Silver's keys are much more omnipresent than in any of their earlier releases and it works amazingly well on October Rust. 

Lyrically this record is as personal and intimate as only Peter Steele was capable of  doing it. I have no idea how, but the man was always able to write the most miserable gut wrenching songs about lost and estranged loves and still leave you feeling like you would never be as suave as him.

There are so many wonderful things about this record; the haunting ambiance, the Bela Lugosi-esque vocals, the sheer sexuality that songs like "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" exude... Hey, snicker all you want pal, but play this record next time you and your lady (let's pretend you have one for the sake of argument) are getting hot and heavy and you tell me how that goes.

It's okay, you can thank me later.

                   



No comments:

Post a Comment